Sunday, May 13, 2007

Happy Mother's Day!

I love this picture of my little sister on her first day of kindergarten in 1962. Of course, in those days, a mom could put the kids on the bus and go home feeling reasonably sure that school was a safe place,

Last night, my sons fixed Mother's Day dinner...fish with cilantro sauce, parmesan-garlic risotto, and a flaming strawberry sauce over ice cream for dessert. The boys all learned from their dad, who has a fantastic knack for doing the right thing.

I have a Mother's Day sore throat and potentially nasty cold. Oddly enough, it reminds me of some of my best memories of my mom. When I was a kid I'd sometimes fake a sore throat in the morning so I could have Mom's attention all to myself on a school day. We'd watch "Concentration" and "As the World Turns," and if I was lucky, we'd have lunch at Merwin Drug's lunch counter. She didn't get that much one-on-one time with any of us, and I think she enjoyed it, too.

I miss her a lot--she died of lung disease four years ago. John, my eldest, came in the door with a giant hibiscus plant today, and I'm sure Mom guided him in that direction. She loved hibiscus ever since she and my dad had their second honeymoon in Hawaii. She'd put half a dozen hibiscus out in the back yard all summer long, then bring them into the "dead plant closet" for the long Minnesota winter.

Love you, Mom. Love you, Lisa. Love you, kids. Love you, Steve.

Thanks for every sweet thing you've ever done.

1 comment:

Jasph said...

If I were your sister Lisa, I'd be posting a comment. Well, I'm posting anyway.

What is it about photos from the '60s? They just look so good, even as the colors fade. Why can't we just live in the '60s all the time?

The last thing I wrote on Spulge Nine is about how The Sopranos is more real than real life. But this lovely thing of yours puts the lie to it. I'm glad you had a good Mother's Day. You deserve it.